Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Gypsy Meet Your Chickens

"Hi...we're going to be friends"
She held that chicken for an hour.

Start training early
The story of how we decided to welcome Gypsy our Minitured Austrailain Shepard (Miniture American Shepard) into our family is on my family blog lifeaswegrow.com

She is absolutely perfect! She's going to be kept very busy around here. One of her jobs is going to be to help with the chickens. Gee, I might have to get more to keep her busy.... She's a born herder and it's very clear right from the start. It's amazing how different she is from Cricket. Cricket really wants to chase. She's a Coton de Teluer / Shih Tzu and though she would never hurt the hens, she sure loves the chase.

Gypsy didn't even seem interested at first, but as soon as they started moving around she became very watchful. I rounded them up and guided them into the tractor and Gypsy walked along right at my heal as we circled the tractor several times. I really need to research how to do this because I'm afraid of messing up her training. If anyone has any hints I'd love to hear!

I started some tunnel training with both Gypsy and Cricket. I know not to have her do any jumping because she is so young, but the tunnels are great fun. Cricket is almost 3 years old, so she is really ready for this. I can't believe I didn't think to get her going sooner. She is full of energy and is a natural jumper. I've never seen her so happy since she got her own puppy. I didn't think to worry about it since she is such a sweet dog around any other animals. Any dog that will sleep and cuddle with a kitten is bound to be good with a puppy. Gypsy is going to be more than twice her size....but I'm not going to tell that to her yet.

 My Moon Princess has been upset that there has been too much snow for her to go visit her chickens. She was very happy for a melt so the hens could run around for a while. She held on to Yorkie our Barred Rock and just talked and pet her for an hour! No one can tell me that chickens don't love attention. When I opened the back of the coop Lilly actually jumped up on my arm and walked around with me like a falcon.


Cricket missed her chickens too.

No comments:

Post a Comment