Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Introduction


Hello Fellow Hen Keepers and Appreciators:)

Reba

My husband moved us out of warm North Carolina to frigid Central New York a few years ago. Ok, I did cry a bit, but I’m better now. For the first time in my life I was able to pursue a life long dream…we all have dreams..some are just bigger than others. I’ve always liked chickens…I don’t know why. I’ve lived in some pretty big cities and never saw one in person, but I loved the ideal that chickens represented. We have just a small two acres, but it’s ours and it’s more than I’ve ever had.
My husband bought me ANIMAL, VEGETABLE, MIRACLE by Barbara Kingsolver when I had my third child..I’ve had more since..well, one. But that’s not bad for my “advanced material age”. (who ever came up with that should be hog tied) All he knew at the time was she was my favorite author. What he didn’t know was that he was changing our lives. To make a long story short – I am trying my hand at homesteading…well, the best I can do anyway having never grown anything but my leg hair. (sorry..TMI)

I have six happy hens in the backyard in a little yellow coop that my husband built for me to try to convince me to stop crying about living in the frigid nowhere. The funny thing is that it worked. It really worked. I still complain sometimes..but I’m the MOM and everyone just has to listen me..because “I said so.” They love me anyway and in return I feed my family the freshest, best, healthiest eggs they have ever had. Not bad for a few little hens in a yellow hen house.

Who else has read ANIMAL, VEGETABLE, MIRACLE and changed their lives?

No comments:

Post a Comment