Friday, March 8, 2013

Chick Decision Time






We go back and forth on this every year...do we get chicks or wait for next year? I usually end up with a couple if I plan it or not, but I think I might do this differently this year. Every season I try to introduce pullets out of the brooder to the rest of the clutch I'm presented with a lot of drama. I divide the coop so the youngsters are safe and hope they get used to being in close quarters before I combine them. There is always at least one of my hens...usually one of my favorites..that insist on picking on the babies. I've made the mistake of getting rid of some great hens because I couldn't have them being so mean. I still miss my Lacy. I have also gone the other route and have gotten rid of the girl that was being picked on by many. Eastie was a favorite pet and would rather be with me than the other hens. I couldn't build a coop just for her so I rehomed her to a friends where she became the leader of the group. It worked out well for her in the end, but I parted with a few great hens before I took that step.

We had a stretch of time this winter when we didn't get any eggs at all. It was just too cold. I have a few that are slowing down a bit. Mama and Jumpers are 4 years old and Mama (my Black Australorp) gets broody a few times a year. I love the Black Australorps...so soft and friendly..but I won't get any more of them. When they lay, they lay very well. They have been the only ones I've had to go so broody. It's very disruptive to the others and of course it cuts in on the egg supply. I'm not allowed to have any roosters here, or else my thinking would be different with them. They are known to be good mothers. We've run out of eggs a few times and we have really grown to not be able to bring ourselves to eat any grocery store eggs. So, we need more good layers.

I would love to stick to heirloom breeds, but on the other hand I see the benefit of the Red Sexlink hen. We have our pet chickens and we love them. I think I'm going to get a batch of hybrids for the egg production and just start a whole new coop just for them. This way I won't have the headache of integrating them and I won't have to worry about what to do with the roos. I had to give up Mr. Dove last season and we really loved him. This may be the best answer for us. Now to find a local breeder.


4 comments:

  1. Oh, there is a lot of drama during new introductions, isn't there?! Our original layers are slowing down, too, so I went for it this year and started raising 8 chicks. One seems to be very strong-willed, so we'll see how that goes when the time comes...
    -Jaime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought my 2 4 year olds were really slowing down, but they must be doing OK. I got 7 eggs yesterday out of my 8 hens. Still, not up to what we need for 6 people. We are getting 6 more chicks this weekend. You could write a drama on the chicken coop..."As the Coop Turns" :)

      Delete
  2. Very interesting post. I've never had chicken socialization go smoothly! It seems to me that whichever hen was on the bottom of the old pecking order is the meanest. I think she wants to make sure she moves up a notch or two. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The politics are so funny. My favorite pets seem to always be the ones to get beat up...maybe I just go for the underdogs.

      Delete