Tuesday, March 19, 2013

New Babies

Brandon's Brahma

Yes...ducks too..happy together.
I never knew that you could have ducks and chickens together. We all went to Tractor Supply thinking we were just going to get the minimum order of chicks...6. The guy who boxed up our chicks assured us that in small flocks ducks could get along just fine. They eat the same food since I don't buy the medicated kind for any of them. My husband couldn't resist and we came home with 2 little ducklings. 

Love love love
After having them just a short while we have decided that we will never be without ducklings again. They are so cuddly!  I did make one realization that they are a good bit messier with the water. I have to keep a very close eye on it to make sure it's never emptied. I am also very glad for the set up I went with this year.
 
simple but works
It's nothing fancy but it's very easy to clean and they are warm enough since this is our heated basement. This rabbit hutch has served us well after poor Simba died. I use it for Mama when she goes broody to snap her out of it. I have a plastic mat on the side of it for the kids to play with the babies where it's easy to clean. My girls have gotten so used to having chickens I don't even have to say anything when the chicks poop. They just grab the tissue and put it all right into my compost bucket. There is something great that can't be simply explained about raising children that raise chickens (and ducks).





No comments:

Post a Comment